The end of the semester…
Just because the semester is ending, does not mean that our service has to! Most or all of the service that we do as sisters of Omega Phi Alpha is completed through group service projects, but this is a reminder that that does not have to be the case. I am going to try to make an effort to do more service on my own, and I would like to encourage everyone else to do the same. Here is a quick list of things you can do over the break from The HandsOn Blog:
- Make artwork for a local senior center or retirement home—they will love the colorful wall decorations!
- Organize a canned food drive at home, school, neighborhood, or place of worship. Donate your collected canned goods to a local food bank or shelter.
- Donate unwanted stuffed animals to a local shelter— there are many children who would love to have an animal to snuggle with this holiday season!
- Donate your family’s holiday party leftovers to a local shelter or soup kitchen
- Gather your old clothes and shoes to donate to the Salvation Army, Goodwill, or other donation center.
- Play board games at a senior center.
- Donate your old books to your local library— there are kids dying to read your books!
- Donate your old backpack there is a child who would love to have a new friend to carry their school work in!
- Have a hot chocolate and cookie stand in your neighborhood and donate the money to your favorite cause.
- Hold a toy drive for kids in a shelter or hospital.
- Take a bag of dog or cat food to your local animal shelter.
- Pick up trash in your local park or neighborhood.
- Grow a community garden.
- Start a recycling program in your community if there is not one already.
- Plant a tree.
And the end of the Etas pledge period!!
This Saturday, December 3rd, the members of the Eta pledge class will become active sisters of Omega Phi Alpha- it is activation! I am so excited for all of the Etas, especially my littles, Mei Mei and Jennifer. They have worked so hard, and this is well earned for them. I am also excited for my big and grand-big to attend activation, and for my first activation as an active. I wish that I could say more, but it is a secret ceremony, and I can’t release any details! The Etas will just have to wait to see what we have in store for them. 🙂